Cuadrilla takes another crack at fracking

London | Cuadrilla Resources, the British shale gas explorer half-owned by ASX-listed mining services company AJ Lucas, has vowed to resume fracking at its site in northern England – hoping to convince the British government to cut the green tape that's holding the project back.

The company on Thursday (AEST) announced it will throw itself into a fresh round of hydraulic fracturing between now and November, after earlier seeming to have pressed pause on the whole project at its Preston New Road site near Blackpool.

Excessive regulation could "strangle at birth" Cuadrilla's fracking plans, its CEO has said. Bloomberg

In February Cuadrilla revealed its first round of fracking had shown very promising results. But the company went on to warn there was little point going much further unless the British government relaxed rules that force an 18-hour halt in activity every time the process sparks tremors above 0.5 on the Richter scale.

Chief executive Francis Egan said last year that this so-called "traffic light system" risked "strangling the project at birth".

But now the company seems ready to test the waters again, and perhaps shift the government its way. In its statement, Cuadrilla said the new round of fracking would produce data that could "justify an expert technical review" of the low seismic threshold for suspending activity.